Scandinavian Inspired Felt DIY Woven Heart
I love all things Scandinavian and some of the crafts are amazing. Whilst flicking through home décor or crafting magazines and searching around on Pinterest the influence is there. One of the things I have always loved about it is the use of soft materials and the natural materials used. Last year my kids for Christmas got a paper craft book “Christmas Decorations to cut fold and stick” one of the ideas a paper woven heart decoration has inspired me to create some Scandinavian Inspired Felt Woven Heart ideal for Valentine’s Day – influenced by the colours of these countries I’ve used red and white felt to create the hearts.
Materials for 4 Felt DIY Woven Hearts
- Sheet of White Craft Felt
- Sheet of Red Craft Felt
- Plastic Cup to draw around
- Red or White Cotton
- Step by Step to make a Felt Woven Heart
Felt DIY Woven Hearts How To:
(check out our (old!) video below if that helps to understand the process!)
- Start of making a paper template so that you hearts will be the same size. Take a sheet of paper the same size as your craft felt and fold in half and then into quarters
- Cut out one of the quarters – this will be the size of your heart
- Use this template to divide your red and white craft felt sheets into your heart – we were left over with a small strip of felt which I put aside to use to create a hanging loop.
- On either end of the felt strips draw around a plastic cup to get a curved end and cut this out.
- Now for some careful measurements – measure the width of your felt heart and divide this by 4.
- Fold your felt in half and along the fold mark out the 4 sections (3 cuts will be formed).
- Then where the curve at the opposite ends is mark the 4 sections out again.
- Draw lines between the two dots
- Cut along these lines – repeat on ALL of the felt pieces.
- Taking a white piece and a red piece make sure that any pencil marks are on the inside of the folded shape.
- Now weave the felt pieces together. Start with the first red and pass through the centre of the white first row. Then put the second white through the red, then red through the third white and the final white through the red.
- For the second red thread the first white through the centre of the red, the second white thread the red through, the third white you need pass through the red, and the forth white thread the red through the centre.
- Repeat step 11 for the third red
- Repeat step 12 for the forth red
- You should end up with a checkerboard like effect.
- Because the felt is soft even up the checkboard
- Take a small piece of felt in either red or white if you have spare or some ribbon
- Stitch it in a loop at the top you will notice that the hearts form a basket so make sure you keep it open.
- The best way to secure it is to stitch it in between the red and white felt on either side.
DIY Woven Heart Video instructions:
Other ideas from Rainy Day Mum
More about Cerys: Cerys is the founder and editor of Rainy Day Mum, a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher and mum to two. She lives in the UK and share ideas for LIVING naturally with kids including activities for kids, recipes, inspiring life and family travel tips and advice. You can find Cerys over onRainy Day Mum,Facebook,Pinterest,TwitterandInstagram.
Find 25+ moreValentines Day Decorationshere: