Sooooo we have been thinking about The Year of The Horse for a couple of weeks now and I was determined to make some sort of Horse Craft with the kids… after much oohing and aaahing, we decided on a sock puppet – we used my hot glue gun to have avoid any sewing… which also meant, that I ended up making most of the Horse Puppet FOR The kids… nevermind, they enjoyed it anyway and we ADORE are little horse…
(Also available in German:Wir basteln ein Pferd!)
- One sock
- Wool for main (we went for fire red for Chinese New Year)
- Googly eyes
- Felt (red, black and white)
- Hote glue gun
- A small plate to insert in the sock to stop to side sticking together
If you don’t have a hot glue gun, you can sew your sock horse (instead of googly eyes use buttons, or stick them on with PVA glue
No Sew Horse Puppet How To
- We cut out all the bits – nostrils and two parts for the ears
- We put a plate inside the sock. Then glued on the eyes and nose where we wanted them.
- To shape the ears a little, we glued them together at the base first. Then with a good dollop of hot glue secured them just above the googly eyes.
- For the main, we started off with the fringe. Wrapped some strands of wool around my hand and glued them in place between the ears. Then snipped open the “loops”.
- The main we did similarly – but with three “sets” of main, glued next to each other. Make sure the hot glue catches all the strands.
And done. Neiiiigh.
Perfect for Chinese New Year!